Monday, June 20, 2011

Baked Fish Pasta

I was feeling experimental on Monday night.  After picking up some haddock on Saturday's grocery run, I sautéed up two onions, one garlic clove, a handfull of fresh dill chopped, and threw in some bottled mushrooms (a great discovery at a local Italian import place) and tinned (drained) artichoke hearts, quartered.  Once all mixed up in the pan, I threw the mixture in with some half-cooked pasta, then tossed in the uncooked chunks of haddock.  Everything then was thrown into a couple of casserole dishes, and I used up some leftover bechamel from a week or so ago (thinned it out with some milk) by pouring it over everything.  Covered in aluminum foil, thrown in the oven at 450 for 20 min, and it was done.

Experimenting  usually either turns out great or comes out slightly disappointing.  I confess - it came out slightly disappointing. But wait!  It was kind of fixable!  First off, I definitely could have cooked it a touch longer (I was worried about overcooking the fish, but that didn't seem to be an issue) to have the flavours mix together more.  Second, it needed salt (easily remedied).  Finally, I could have added a whole different dimension by covering it in lemon slices before baking it.  I fixed this by simply squeezing some lemon juice on at the end.  Not the same, but ah well.  Once these tweaks were done, the dish was pretty solid.


The finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment